Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Spectacular

Saturday morning I woke up at 6:30am...excited. All day I kept saying "I feel like something really good is about to happen."

Don't get me wrong, Saturday was a good day. Good things happened...spent a few hours at the pool, lunched at my favorite place with friends, went to church...all good things. {Especially the friends!} But, I couldn't shake the feeling that something extraordinary and surprising was about to happen. I couldn't stop smiling...couldn't stop the anticipation jitters...couldn't stop the hope.

Every day since has been more of the same...can't shake the feeling. I don't want to shake the feeling. It really is amazing what happens to the mind and body and soul when hope is regained. I made a choice to give up the "I guess this is it...this is my life." Eeyore way of living. I want the spectacular and now I anticipate it.

The realist in me is always at war with the dreamy idealist. Which is probably a good thing...it keeps my feet closer to the ground. I know that there's work and that life doesn't happen like it did for Cinderella.  There's usually a gap between knowing your calling and getting to the point where you're living it. So I'm in that in between in all areas of my life.

So, for right now, I'm going to let this excitement fuel me for working on the daily disciplines. I know I'll need those disciplines to be able to walk in my calling. I'm mostly talking about the disciplines that bring me into closer relationship with God.

Choosing...
love over hate
joy over bitterness
peace over disunity
patience over haste
kindness over selfishness
goodness over sin-nature
gentleness over hostility
faithfulness over laziness
self-control over self ambition

I'm pretty sure spectacular happens when discipline and opportunity and courage intersect.

I choose spectacular.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore when there is this anticipation inside of us that we just cannot damper. I felt that way yesterday! (Even though it was an amazingly rough day and I still did my brave thing) I hope you continue to feel this way for a long time.... and choosing those things...beautifully spectacular.

    I too have a hard time with my realist and dreamy side colliding...it's hard but being grounded is a good thing but so is the dreamy stuff :)

    So glad you are experiencing this spectacular!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE THIS! cannot wait for pool too!!! Thanks for inviting me! :) God has such an adventure planned for you, and cannot wait to rejoice with you when he reveals it! :)

    ReplyDelete