Thursday, April 15, 2010

Book Review: Never Say Never by Lisa Wingate

When it comes to Christian fiction I am usually pretty wary of what I might find between the covers. Mainly because most Christian fiction books are romance novels set in another time period 200 years, or earlier, in the past.  So, what made me pick this book for review? Why did I give Christian fiction another chance?

1. Never Say Never by Lisa Wingate is set in modern day.
2. While there is some romance to the plot, it is not the all consuming topic.
3. I like try things again because, you "can't judge a book by it's cover!" har har ;)

I read it, and I liked it, but I didn't LOVE it. I think the reason I didn't love it is based on the expectation I had of the plot.

{Possible SPOILER ALERT!}

Let me back up a bit and start with what I did like about this book...

  • Lisa Wingate is actually a good writer!  I also liked how she dealt with some real issues in the content. The main character, Kai, came from a not so great home life, and Wingate clearly showed the affect it had on Kai's life and her inability/unwillingness to truly connect with people. 
  • There was romance, but she wrote in such a way that did not stir emotions or fantasies or unrealistic ideals. Unfortunately, most Christian romance novels I have read are almost as bad as the secular romance novels. You know what I mean...a harlequin romance just minus the explicit scenes.  
  • The story had a good moral about taking care of those in need.

Alright, now on to the items where I felt a bit let down...

  • While the characters in the book clearly went to church, and were religious, I didn't get anything about their relationship with Jesus.
  • Kai questions her beliefs through the memories of her little brother, but at the end of the book there was not a resolution about where she stood about her faith.
  • I would have liked more of the story to focus on her love interest, Kemp.


So, on the scale of  Bad, Eh, Good, and Excellent...I give it a "Good".

This book was provided for free by Bethany House Publishing for review and it can be purchased at any online book retailer. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment