Saturday, October 11, 2008

Yoga Lessons & Revelations

I've recently been going to ashtanga yoga classes 3 times a week.  Before I get angry "Yoga is the devil" comments, let me tell you how God has been speaking to me through it. Everything we do in life requires prayer and faith.  God can redeem anything. I know that yoga is rooted in hinduism, but I am fortunate to have an instructor that does not focus on spiritual aspect of yoga. My prayers in yoga class started out as prayers of spiritual covering, but I've found my prayers morphing into great conversations with God!
Lesson #1: Ashtanga yoga requires focus on the connection between breath and movement.  For example, on the inhale you do one move and on the exhale you do the next move.  
Revelation #1: Through that focus, I've been able to lay down worries of the day, focus my mind on God and have set myself up to hear from God without distraction.  
Lesson #2: Yoga is also about being in the moment. 
Revelation #2: I've begun to realize that I should not 'live for the weekend', but for each moment that God gives me.  I often say, "I'm glad I had a busy day because it makes the day go by so fast!"  It is causing me to ask God more, "how do you want to use me in this moment, this hour, and this day?"
Lesson #3: Yoga requires listening to your instructor for maximum results and minimum injury.
Revelation #3:  Hello!  Read your Bible! What better way is there to listen to my Instructor, but through reading His words?
Lesson #4: Improvement happens through consistent practice and discipline.
Revelation #4:  Change doesn't always happen over night and it's easy to become impatient and give up.  Don't give up.  Instead press into my relationship with God and surrender to His will. The change will follow.  How can I not change in the presence of God?
I'm sure many more revelations will come!  If you decide to start going to yoga classes, it is important to know that it's foundations are rooted in an eastern religion.  Find a class you feel comfortable in.  There are also a lot of Christian yoga DVDs for sale online too!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting way of looking at things and way to being open to learn.

    Nat used to do yoga. She liked it a lot and even took an instructors class.

    ReplyDelete