Monday, February 18, 2008

Looking Back...

"In the Garden of Gethsemane, the disciples went to sleep when they should have stayed awake, and once they realized what they had done it produced despair. The sense of having done something irreversible tends to make us despair. We say, "Well, it’s all over and ruined now; what’s the point in trying anymore." If we think this kind of despair is an exception, we are mistaken. It is a very ordinary human experience. Whenever we realize we have not taken advantage of a magnificent opportunity, we are apt to sink into despair. But Jesus comes and lovingly says to us, in essence, "Sleep on now. That opportunity is lost forever and you can’t change that. But get up, and let’s go on to the next thing." In other words, let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him." My Utmost For His Highest, February 18. As you know by past blogs, I'm a daily reader of My Utmost For His Highest devotional. It never ceases to amaze me how God draws me to the right devotional for the right season. Today's devotional hit home for many reasons, and I hope you click on one of the links to read todays whole devotional. Lately, I have spent a lot of time wishing I had done some things differently. Even blaming my past decisions for my present situation. Yes, my past has shaped my present. However, being angry with a past I cannot change produces nothing worthwhile in my life. I know I cannot continue to blame a whole group for my distrust or loss of 6 years of my life. Good things, good friendships, were brought by that time. Somehow, I still grieve that time I lost not knowing my family because they weren't 'godly enough' to have an opinion on my life. People who knew me for a short time carried more weight in my life than my own parents. I don't say all of this to drudge up old wounds. I say it because I know I don't want to carry it anymore. I laid you in a bitter bed. Naming you unrest and giving you distrust for a best friend; I cherished the spite we shared. With tears wept for loss, shame, regret, I picked you up, and left you in the Sweet hands of hope. I did not know I was bound by your chains... until I truly forgave you. The load lifted high, I can love you for the things you didn't tear apart. Passion, excellence, purity...a Gospel foundation. You still exist, but not in the same form. You are once again so foreign... as the day we met. Until we meet again, I wish you love and peace and light. All the things you struggled to give to me, I give freely to you. With the past laid to rest, I finally see the hope, of a Future.

10 comments:

  1. That is a great post, thank you for sharing. It also seems to be a lesson that I have to consistently remind myself of.

    I am a bit of a pack rat it would seem.

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank for reading! It always amazes me that people read my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so true! I find that it's easy to hang on to the past, and especially to feel that anger or bitterness are justified because I was legitimately wronged. But that only hurts me because in the end, it's my soul that's strangled by carrying around hurt and bitterness. The person that wronged me isn't affected at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog is so good. It is alot of what I have been dealing with and learning to let go. Thanks so much for your honesty.
    Look for a shoutout on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome. I wouldn't be too surprised, you're a good honest writer.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alison this post is the bomb.com! This is an issue that most (saved and unsaved) go through. I think its apart of life and makes us realize even further of God's mercy for our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm....I definitely think we had a very similar experience. I have to wonder if it was during the same six years?!! I can definitely say God is faithful to heal emotional wounds!!

    (on a funny note....the "word verification" for me ends in "carb"....thats the first time I have ever seen an actual word!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Check it out- I actually started a blog! hahaha...stephaniehuffman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wanted to respond to your comment:

    Your words of encouragement really blessed me when I read them. I love being a wife and a mom, and I really appreciate what you wrote! Thanks!

    You are going to be an awesome wife and mom one day!! But I will tell you....most of what we learned in our major will be long forgotten :).

    And lastly, I love your profile picture!!! Cute hair!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You wrote, "Lately, I have spent a lot of time wishing I had done some things differently. Even blaming my past decisions for my present situation. Yes, my past has shaped my present. However, being angry with a past I cannot change produces nothing worthwhile in my life. I know I cannot continue to blame a whole group for my distrust or loss of 6 years of my life."

    WOW! I went through the exact same thing- having all the same feelings!! I didn't realize you and I have had such similar experiences. Actually, I'm sure our experiences were totally different, but in both cases, damage was done and it affected us emotionally the same way.

    A few years ago, I spent months knewing I needed to work on things and change, but just wasting time being mad and angry for the mistakes and poor choices I made. Ex: If I hadn't made this decision, I wouldn't be here today...
    I wanted to be angry with my past and angry with an individual, but eventually I had to let go of all that. It wasn't getting me anywhere. It was keeping me stuck, wasting more years of my life. I realized beating myself up, wishing if only, makes things worse and makes me feel worse about myself. Thinking and focusing on what we can do now makes a new life and new future and makes things better! :)
    (Thank goodness for Joyce Meyer- I love her!!)

    ReplyDelete