Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Tuesday's Trio - Book Series edition

Welcome to another edition of Tuesday's Trio!  This week is the Book Series edition.

I love books. That is no secret.  What you may not know is that I love book series even more.  It's the ultimate reading experience because the story lasts that much longer.

I have some subjective criteria that determined this list:

   Number of times read
+ Resonance with my imagination
+ Amount of personal takeaway
+ Entertainment factor                  
= A place in the top 3

Ok, so here are my top three in no particular order:

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
Even though this series is classified in the Children's Literature genre, many adults would greatly benefit from these books.  Every time I read this I get a new revelation about the character of God and is as close to a modern day parable as you can get.  Not only a great writer technically, Lewis has a special insight into Biblical truth to tell it in a way that is palpable for many different audiences.

Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer
When this series first made its appearance with the book Twilight, I was a serious hater. I did not want to read about vampires at all. To be honest, I was a little afraid because I can't watch scary movies, due to the dreams they produce.  I don't even remember what compelled me to pick up the book, but when I did I could not put it down.  The story line was unexpected, but something about it made me want to keep reading and rereading.  The haters that remain need to give it another shot.  This got major bonus points for the entertainment factor, resonance with my imagination, and number of times read.  Not much takeaway....other than having to make choices and living with the consequences.

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
There are actually four books in this series: Little Women, Good Wives, Little Men and Jo's Boys.  Little Women and Good Wives are usually published in one book though.  These books are just a great reminder of another time when women were expected to do very different things than they are now, and how this band of women made their mark on society.  This series has been on my shelf for many many years.  A great read for all ages.

What does it say about me that each series is either in the Children's Literature or Young Adult genre? Wait, on second thought, I do not want to know.

Now it's your turn...what are some of your favorite book series?










Please see my disclaimer by clicking on the tab at the top of this page.  If you are reading this via RSS feed, please click on over to my blog to find the tab.

2 comments:

  1. I could not agree more about book series :)

    I love the Anne of Green Gables series. I so wanted to be Anne growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Critty....I actually havent read Anne of Green Gables! It's sitting on my shelf...maybe I should jump on that.

    ReplyDelete