Thursday, December 3, 2009

A New Christmas Tradition

My family's Christmas traditions have changed a lot over the years. After my parents divorced, it was inevitable that things would change during the holidays. Then add remarriage, siblings getting married and having kids, and I realized new traditions would have to be forged. Christmas day has really changed. I used to wish Christmas day could always be the same every year, and now every year Christmas is different. So, not only do I have split my time between two parents, I don't get to see all of my siblings every year either. They all have in-laws to see now too. After I mourned the loss of my old Christmas traditions, I began to realize that each year is an opportunity to for new memories. Our new tradition is that every year is different than the one before. I think it's going to remain that way for me until I have my own family and we can make our own traditions together. So, until that day comes, I will choose to be thankful that I have a family that I love and loves me back. That is more than what a lot of people have this Christmas season. To read about other people's Christmas traditions please visit www.exemplifyonline.com.

8 comments:

  1. Loving our families is the best tradition we could ever participate in!

    You have such a lovely place here and I love the whole "process of exchange"!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is exactly my situation. My parents are divorced and we spend Christmas with each of them. It is tough. We want to have our own traditions, but with no kids we have to go to Christmas. I look forward to it, though!

    Thanks for sharing this. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joye - You're right about love being the best tradition and thanks for the blog compliments!

    T.J. - Blessings to you too and safe travels as you visit your family this holiday season. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is hard to not celebrate this time of year with everyone. I am so glad you have the tradition of celebrating Christmas differently every year. That's really neat. I'm also glad we can celebrate Christmas with online friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alison I really enjoyed your take on this. Change is not my favorite thing and I love your honest heart with dealing with this. Divorce is tough as I am learning...even though my parents have been divorced 4 years this will be the first year with two completely separate Christmases. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christy - Let me know if you want to talk about this some more....I'm an old pro at the divorced Christmas ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can imagine it would be hard to split your time between two parents, but I am so glad you have decided to be thankful for time with them!

    ReplyDelete