Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Greatest Commandment

Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." Matthew 22: 34-40
In the last week I have devoted much time to thinking about the development of character. More specifically, the character I want to be known for among my colleagues and peers. What I have discovered is a desire to be known as a person that has no unkind word to speak to or about anyone. I imagine this is something many people aspire to, but not many attain. Perhaps this is a result of the ease and familiarity gossip and the old saying that 'misery loves company'. What then should I do when I'm upset with people? The men and women in the Bible first went to God, and then, if need be, spoke directly to the people causing the frustration. It's easier to talk to my friends about the people or situations that have upset me, but it is not right to gather people against one another. Jesus clearly states in Matthew 22:34-40 that the greatest commandment is to love the Lord God with all my heart, soul and mind. Believe me, I have not fully attained that, but am working on it. The second greatest commandment is to love my neighbor as myself. In light of the greatest commandment, the second commandment should easily flow out of it. Here's the kicker, people who don't love themselves in light of God's love, cannot love another person well. How am I loving someone by gathering people to see the bad in that person/situation? I'm not. So, how do I begin to build character? First, by loving God fully with my heart, soul and mind. Through that I will learn better how to love people how God loves people, and I will then be able to love my neighbor as myself. It will be a moment by moment choice to speak only encouraging words...God help me.

1 comment: