Friday, January 11, 2008

Helper

"A lack of progress in our spiritual life results when we try to bear all the costs ourselves. And actually, we cannot. Because we are so involved in the universal purposes of God, others are immediately affected by our obedience to Him. Will we remain faithful in our obedience to God and be willing to suffer the humiliation of refusing to be independent?" Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, January 11 In our independent society it is easy to believe that our life choices have no consequence on the people in our lives. Not only does it affect those currently in our life, but also the people who will come into our lives. Scary, huh? I'll admit that I frequently believe the 'independent choice' lie. I need to add a few steps in my decision making process. Have you ever thought about how your life will impact your future children? The choices I make today have a direct influence on who my children will be, and what fights they will have as they grow into adulthood. Will my battles be my children's battles? God, I hope not. I have to win the war, but I cannot do it alone. I know I need not only God, but also people. God created us to be relational. Genesis 2:18 states, '18 The LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.' I believe that this is not only applicable to married people, but also to single people. I'm sure God feels that it is not good for single people to be alone, and gives us people as 'helpers' too. Who in your life do you consider to be a God given helper? Do you appreciate them or do you take them for granted? Are you even letting them help you? Do not rob them from expressing the love they feel for you, and from experiencing the joy of using their gifts. Think on it. God is love, Alison

No comments:

Post a Comment